Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner- Jen Lancaster

Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner


I LOVE me some Jen Lancaster. My first encounter with her was on MySpace, back in the days before it became internet-central for sleazy hookups & cheesy bands. She had posted a comment on a post I had copied from an email, chastising me for not giving credit to the author who turned out to be a firend of hers. I apologized for not posting information I didn't have, pointed out that I *had* put a dsiclaimer that it wasn't my work but I found it to be too funny not to share, and after verification of the author, changed the post to include that. She sent me a message apologizing if she'd come across as too harsh, but she was an author herself and that she appreciated me taking the time to A: verify the information and give credit where it was due, and B: Not send her a "GFY, B***h" message for telling me off in the first place. I asked what she had written (Bitter is the New Black) and put it on request at the library after she gave me the name of her book.

After reading Bitter in one sitting, laughing like a loon through most of it, I went out and bought a copy. Then I went to her blog www.Jennsyvania.com and read through her archives. Then I waited (impatiently) for each of her subsequent books to come out. I love her sense of humor, ability to laugh at herself, and the fact that we may not agree politically but have so many other shared loves (Rick Springfield- EEEEEEEEEE) that it doesn't matter. Also, thanks to Jen's sporadic reading lists and promotion of books by her friends, I have found and enjoyed several other authors I might not have read otherwise.

So what is this book about? More looks into Jen's sometimes chaotic but always entertaining life. From her deranged pets, to her awesome husband (Fletch rocks!), to the trials & tribulations of trying to stop acting like a college kid and become an adult, this is a hoot. Each chapter ends with a summarized 'life lesson.'

Want to see me giggle? Shriek "perimeter breach!" at me. Die-hard Jen fans will know why this is funny- if you don't, READ this book.

Sadly, I've never heard from her since those brief messages on MySpace. But, Jen, if you should happen to see this, I'm totally up for having a new addition to the ranks of my BFF's! Seriously, I think we'd have a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment