Monday, August 13, 2012

Commercials- the good, the bad, and the ugly

Nothing terribly original here, just a rant about television & commericals. I have pretty much gotten to the point where I don't watch much television anymore. My coworkers being unable to work in a quiet atmosphere and insisting on keeping the TV at make-your-ears-bleed volume has been the subject of previous rants, so won't repeat myself. But being FORCED to have a TV on 4-5 days a week means I also see/hear a LOT of commercials. Here is a partial list of the ones I have come to loathe:

1. anything for Old Navy
2. anything featuring diapers, especially the one where the little cartoon babies are having a 'poop-off' and you get to see the diapers 'comically' expand
3. Those #$@^&@& J.D. Wentworth commercials where people sing about having a settlement but needing cash now.
4. Those idiotic Life Alert commericals- especially the obese woman w/the oxygen tube up her nose talking about "I'll give up bread, beer, wine, and soda, but I won't give up my Life Alert!"
5. the nauseating Cancer Treatment Center of America commercials, especially the one where the spouses look like siblings. (before anyone flames me for ragging on a cancer commercial, I have had numerous family members with various forms of cancer. I know how serious it can be and the toll it takes on the entire family, but those commericals just flat out suck)

That said, I can think of 2 commercials I actually like:

1. The car commerical where the family is riding along and suddenly one of the kids starts humming. By the end of the ad, the whole family is rocking out to Ozzy's Crazy Train. LOVE it!

2. The old Free Credit report commercials featuring Eric Violette and his band. Especially the one where they're at the Renaissance Faire. The band they replaced them with isn't nearly as entertaining.

The trainwreck that fascinates me:

There's a local pawn business here in good old Lousyville that does commercials that look like they were shot by the owner's brother on a camcorder. They're so bad that they're funny. The best one was a Village People parody, back around Christmas. The current one is supposed to be a bunch of 'famous' musicians doing a version of Beat It. At least I think that's what it's supposed to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment