Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Best Friends, Occasional Enemies- Lisa Scottoline & Francesca Serritella

Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter

I have never read Lisa Scottoline's mysteries. I need to, and will get to them one of these days. But after reading her essay collection Why My Third Husband Will Be A Dog, I realized that this was a woman I could love! Daughter Francesca collaborates on this third collection, and it's just as funny to me as the original. I see many echoes of my relationship with my own mother in  their writing.

Take these quotes for example:

Francesca on Apartment Living - When I saw a mouse, the first person I called was Mom. She told me to call my super, but I felt bad bothering him. I hate to bother people. But I love to bother my mother.


Lisa on Things Every Daughter Should Know - Your mother is always thinking about you, but that’s not creepy. Your mother will never forget who did you dirty in the sixth grade, for which you can thank her. And your mother will never stop asking you if you need to go to the bathroom, before you leave the house. Well, do you?





Then I read the Battle of the Green Jacket and really got hysterical. Having had a life-long aversion to Mommy & Me outfits, I can totally understand Francesca's reaction to her mother buying the exact same jacket she bought and wanting to wear it at the same time. My mother and I rarely exhibit the same taste in clothes, but when we do, it seems that we inevitably wind up wearing them out in public together. My mom loves it. I do not. But I feel better knowing I'm not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment