Friday, November 26, 2010

Great bookstores

Another post from the BBC:


http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20101118-the-worlds-greatest-bookshops


As I mention in my library post earlier, I love bookstores as much as I love libraries. I have literally planned vacations around book shopping. My first trip to Toronto was a giant book buying binge. I found Bakka Science Fiction Books and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Then there was the cookbook store, whose name I've forgotten. And so many more....


London? Mom had to drag me away from Charing Cross Road. It's not the bookstore Mecca it once was, but I still had a lot of fun plundering the stores we found. I bought a ton of books that I began to resent as I had to lug them around for the rest of the day, having planned badly.


I even love online bookstores as my denuded bank account, Amazon, and Better World Books will all tell you. And nothing is more fun for me than spending an hour (or 3) digging through the stacks in a good used bookstore.


So, among my other life goals now, is the challenge of getting to as many of the bookstores on the BBC list as possible.


Tell me, what are some of YOUR favorite bookstores?

No comments:

Post a Comment