Monday, June 27, 2011

Poetry Monday

I don't remember how I stumbled across this little gem, but I hope you'll like it!

Camomile Tea - Katherine Mansfield



Outside the sky is light with stars;


There's a hollow roaring from the sea.


And, alas! for the little almond flowers,


The wind is shaking the almond tree.






How little I thought, a year ago,


In the horrible cottage upon the Lee


That he and I should be sitting so


And sipping a cup of camomile tea.






Light as feathers the witches fly,


The horn of the moon is plain to see;


By a firefly under a jonquil flower


A goblin toasts a bumble-bee.






We might be fifty, we might be five,


So snug, so compact, so wise are we!


Under the kitchen-table leg


My knee is pressing against his knee.






Our shutters are shut, the fire is low,


The tap is dripping peacefully;


The saucepan shadows on the wall


Are black and round and plain to see.




















No comments:

Post a Comment