Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Geeky Confessions

I'd say it's safe to consider myself somewhat of a geek. I don't rabidly follow fandoms, but I sort of belong to a couple. I tend to like fantasy novels, comic book based movies (Avengers- Loki rules!), science fiction movies, fantasy & sci fi TV shows, etc. That said, I don't participate in everything, so here are my confessions to that effect:

1. I don't Cosplay.

Costumes are great. People are really creative with quite a lot of them. I am not one of them. I don't have the time/patience/money to fool around with creating a costume, nor do I have the figure for most of the ones I would like to do. That doesn't stop all cosplayers, but it's a deterrent for me.


2. Tolkien bores me to tears.


This one shocks all my die-hard geek friends. I'm sorry, but the books were overblown (how many times can you read "I am so-and-so, son of so-and-so, son of so-and-so" and not want to scream?) and I've tried reading them at various stages in my life with no luck. The movies were way longer than they needed to be, but they did beat hell out of reading the books.


3. I no longer enjoy RPG's.


Not table-top or live-action. I've been in some groups that were really good, and I've been in some groups that went straight to hell because none of the players could agree on what kind of campaign we were in. Hack & Slash is fine if that's what EVERYONE wants to play, but I'm one of those players who likes character development & interaction. The last group I was in devolved into giant whine-fests and just totally turned me off gaming forever.


4. I'm not a fan of video games either.

I play things like Candy Crush & Cookie Jam because they're simple, mindless, and designed for solo players. I don't like fiddling around with controllers and buttons and all the faff you have to do to make a character take two steps and fire a bow or what-have-you.


5. I don't like Cons.

This is mostly attributed to my social anxiety disorder/dislike of crowds. I've been to several and enjoyed aspects of them, but was just to uncomfortable to really enjoy myself. Also, while I would love to meet more of my favorite actors/authors/whoever, I can't stand in those lines and I'm not paying that kind of money to meet anyone!


6. Blood & Gore? No thanks.

I admit to liking certain horror movie franchises, despite the gore content, but overall I can live quite nicely without it. I had to stop reading vampire novels because so many authors went over the top in graphic details. Ditto for shifters. And I loathe zombie stories.


7. I LOVE LOKI.

Well, Tom Hiddleston's version, anyway. I've always had a thing for bad boys (Michael Fassbender's Magneto is another one I would happily molest given a chance) and he hits all the right notes.





No comments:

Post a Comment