Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Snow Days

We don't actually get them at my job. We're considered "essential" personnel (until it comes to being given raises, promotions, etc) and have to come in if we're scheduled, no matter what. I've been told that if I can't get my car out of the drive/off the street, they WILL send an officer to get me. Hasn't happened yet, but that's the official rule.

Well, it snowed Friday. I was called and told I could come in early if I wanted to beat the snow. It was barely sleeting when I got to work at 1:45. By the time I left work at 10:30 there was about 6 inches of snow on my car. At least it had stopped falling by then. The city, as usual, dropped the ball on snow removal, so it took me almost an hour to drive home. (as opposed to the usual 10-20 minutes)My little incorporated city helpfully cleared our street...leaving a 2 ft high mound of snow & ice at the foot of my drive. I had to park on the street, kick enough of it down to be able to get in the drive, and then pull in. Then I listened to them plow the street every 10 minutes from roughly midnight until I went to bed at 2. Nothing else had fallen, and they'd pretty much gotten it all by the time I'd gotten home earlier, but they kept scraping the blacktop until I started wishing for a bazooka.

Saturday loomed, clear & cold. Got to work for my OT shift, no problems. Louisville Metro had finally done something about the major roads. Going home, no problems. Then it snowed again overnight. Not much, maybe an inch. You'd have thought the world was coming to an end. People decimated the stores of bread & milk. Personally, if I thought I was going to be housebound for an extended period, I'd be stocking up on toilet paper and coffee. Or booze, if I were trapped with my family.

Monday was clear again, then we got another half inch this morning. Schools were cancelled, business opened late, and I expect that any store that had managed to re-stock is probably half empty again. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment