Monday, February 16, 2015

Snow Day? Not For Us!

So, Louisville finally got a big snowfall. It's still falling. Just about everything in town is closed today...except us. I realized that despite having backed my car into the driveway and only leaving about a 2 foot strip to be shoveled, I wasn't going to be able to dig my way out. Called work and this is where the fun began. Psycho Sunshine demanded the day off yesterday when she saw the snow forecast. I said fine, but either someone was coming to get me & drive me back home at the end of my shift, or thy could put me down as AWOL and force someone in, but I wasn't trying to drive. Even if I *had* been able to dig myself out, the road wasn't cleared, and I wasn't chancing sliding off into the steep ditches on either side of my street.

The short version of the story is that my Sgt. wound up coming to get me. NONE of the roads (including the interstates) have been cleared. Instead of staying in/at home as suggested, a lot of people are out joyriding and making the roads worse. And getting stuck. And wrecking. In fact, there have been so many pointless wrecks that the department issued the edict that officers were no longer responding to non-injury accidents. We had to try 3 different routes before poor Jeff could get me here.

So, here I am at work. The heater is trying and failing to keep up with the cold. I suspected that would happen, so I'm here in a thermal undershirt, sweatshirt, fuzzy sweatpants (screw the dress code), and 2 pairs of socks. The snow was up to my calves, so even my hiking boots didn't help. They're sitting on the floor drying out, along with the third pair of socks I had on. I'm wearing PPE booties over my other socks so that I don't pick up anything gross from our nasty floors.

And- I SWEAR I am NOT making this up- I've already had 2 calls about people wanting to pick guns up, 1 asking abut drugs, and one officer with found bullets. *headdesk*

Did I mention that the snow is still falling?

No comments:

Post a Comment