Monday, September 9, 2013

Storms & Trees

Well, we thought the wind & ice storms we had here a few years ago pretty much brought down everything on the trees in my neighborhood that were likely to come down. We were wrong.

It started with my next door neighbor, Chuck. The tree in his yard, next to my driveway is half dead. Most of it came down during the windstorm and took out my old car. (before he lived there) Small bits & pieces fall off it periodically, but nothing massive until we had a bad storm a while back. I was leaving for work when the wind started kicking up. Had *just* cleared my driveway when a huge limb came crashing down. It missed me by inches, and had I left the house a minute later my car would have been smashed. Chuck came tearing out of his house, fearing the worst- boy did he look relieved to see me & my car unharmed. He told me that he'd call his son to come help him clear the limb from my drive as soon as the storm passed, and that I was free to park in his drive if they weren't able to get to it by the time I got home that night.

The drive in to work was exciting, and not in a good way. The wind was whipping up to almost hurricane strength (shade of those storms a few years back) and tree limbs were coming down everywhere...along with quite a few power lines. I don't understand idiots who think it's ok to drive over a downed line that is VISIBLY sparking.


We had another bad storm just before my birthday that brought down an enormous limb in my backyard. Didn't do any damage, thankfully. And then the last week has brought more storms which has taken down some good sized limbs in my front yard. Again, we've been lucky and had no damage, but it's really beginning to bother me that these trees are so fragile. I suspect they need to be cut down entirely and new ones planted, but doubt my landlord is going to be willing to pay for that. Maybe if I tell him that they pose a risk to the new roof & siding that *FINALLY* got finished after last year's weather debacles...

No comments:

Post a Comment